8.05.2012

P.U.P.O with Triplets!

Well, my transfer is complete. I am currently Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise....with triplets! EEEK!

The day after my retrieval, I had posted that I got a good fertilization report. Friday, the news wasn't as good. After hearing that I had 14 good embryos, the embryologist said that I had only 8 that divided. She was shocked that so many didn't do anything. It was a big blow. The same thing as the first time kept happening.....my embryos stop dividing. Why? Why do they keep doing this? The reason remains unknown...probably forever.

The embryologist asked me how many I was going to transfer this time. She wanted to know how many to pick, and wanted to make sure they were the best. I explained that because they aren't dividing, I was really considering putting in three. Yes, it increases the chance of multiples, but I was terrified I'd have nothing to freeze again. If they were going to stop developing, I'd rather have it happen in my body than in a petri dish. I explained that it was likely the last time I would be using my own eggs and wanted to increase my chances of success. She completely understood - agreed even. She said the doctor on Saturday wouldn't have a problem putting in three. She said to call and talk to my doctor just to confirm that it was fine.

After we hung up, I immediately called the nurse line. They called back and said my doctor wasn't in. He'd be in the office Saturday and I should ask for him. So I continued to stew over the news...

My transfer was scheduled for Saturday at 9am. I thought all night about my poor embryos, sending them positive thoughts. If I had enough to freeze, I'd transfer two. If not, I'd transfer three. I talked to Anthony about it. He, of course, was very nervous about the possibility of multiples. But, he understood my reasoning.

It's such a hard decision to make. I struggled a lot with it. I thought of the possibilities of physical and developmental problems with having triplets. I thought about the risk it was to have that many babies in my body, and what health complications it would cause me. So may things were racing in my mind.....but the more I thought about it, the more three seemed right. It would just have to wait until morning.

I couldn't sleep that night. I tossed and turned, wondering how many of my 8 were still dividing. I couldn't do anything - I have no control - I felt helpless.

We arrived at the hospital at 8:00. I was getting acupuncture done, so I had to be there early.  I asked if my doctor was in, and the desk said they weren't sure - but to talk to the nurses in the recovery room and they'd make sure he'd see me. So back we went. I asked again about the doctor - but he didn't come in until 8:30. So I still had to wait. And hope that my embabies in the back room were still fighting like hell!

During my acupuncture, the RE doing the transfer came in. He asked if the embryologist talked to me. (Oh no I thought....it's going to be bad news!). He explained how the embryos were doing. He said some of the ones that didn't divide Friday were just slow, and continued to divide, so we had more than 8. I talked to him about transferring three and explained my history. He agreed that putting in three was the best option to go. He said as of now, there were 2 to freeze. But, with my past history of arresting embryos, he wanted to be safe and increase my odds. So it was settled. We'd put in three and they'd do assisted hatching on them all. I felt good, but still wanted to confirm with MY doctor. He came in shortly after. He explained that he was all for putting in three as long as we were fine with the risk of multiples. He asked Anthony and then he asked me. Of course I said it was not a problem. He said putting in three would increase my chances of achieving pregnancy. So it was settled. With two REs thinking the same thing, it was decided.

The RE was running behind. Worst news to someone who had to drink a shit ton of water and just sit there while her bladder may burst at any moment. Finally, they had me walk back and checked to make sure I was full. HA! I was very full. So he prepped my cervix and inserted the catheter and waited for the embryologist to bring in my three beautiful embryos.

The transfer this time wasn't as nice as the first time. There was no soothing music, and the monitor was turned so I couldn't even see very well. I was disappointed. I asked for an ultrasound picture of the embryos in my uterus, and they told me no. I wasn't happy. The first time, Anthony videoed it and we got a picture from that. But, this time, he didn't want to video so he could see the transfer good. It's probably better in the end that we have no pictures...

The worse part of this transfer was trying to pee afterward. The nurse came in immediately upon returning to my recovery bay with a bed pan. I had to stay laying flat and try to pee. So much harder than it seems. Last time, I was fine doing it, but this time, I don't know what happened. I just couldn't pee. I had to pee so bad, that I couldn't pee. I wanted to cry - it hurt so freaking bad. It took a good 10 minutes, but I was finally able to pee. I felt so much better. The acupuncturist came back and I had my post session.

The first time I had acupuncture it was so relaxing. This time - not so much. The needles kept falling out and she'd have to put them back in. It was annoying. I don't know how much it helped with them being missing for awhile.

So fast forward to today. I am 1 day past a 3 day transfer. I am "trying" to do 3 days of bed rest. I did 24 complete hours. I read a book, watched some movies, and slept. Today, I am antsy. I did walk to the couch today for a change of scenery. I also took a shower. I just don't want to stand too much.

I know all of this sound ridiculous, but I just want to live in a bubble until I see that amazing sight of two lines that tells me that I am pregnant. I don't want to hurt any chances of this working. I want to fast forward to that day. I hope that day is about 10 days from now.

My progesterone check is scheduled for Aug. 10th
My beta is Aug. 17th
I start work Aug 20th

Anthony has been amazing through this process. He has been bringing me food and doing anything I ask. I love him so much. This process has really made our relationship grow stronger. He gives my belly three kisses throughout the day - one for each of our embabies. He asks how they are doing. It melts my heart...



No comments:

Post a Comment